Monday, May 28, 2012

Chapters 3 and 4 (The Water is Wide)


“I love people and collect friends like some people collect coins or exotic pipes.”

I chose this sentence because it reflects on what type of person Mr. Conroy is. The struggles he faces within the classroom with the students is tough enough not counting the prejudices that are in the society. Although Mr. Conroy grew up with racism being the norm, as an adult he generally loved all people and viewed everyone as humans that were equal. He would listen to others make racist remarks and even laugh sometimes about them but his views about people were all the same, no one was better than anyone else. That is why almost everyone liked him and why he collected so many friends.

Chapter three was a chapter that focused on Mr. Conroy in the classroom. It showed the reader in more detail just how uneducated the students really were. It was so sad to me to learn that these students who were in sixth through eighth did not know how many fingers were on a hand. I guess I always thought that knowing there were five fingers on one hand was a given that everyone knew. In that part of chapter three when Mr. Conroy asked the students how many fingers were on a hand, it shocked me to learn that this age of children truly did not know. It made me realize that I am lucky to have had such a good education and I should not to take for granted the little things that seem to be a given.

Chapter four focused on Mr. Conroy’s life outside of the school house. It went into detail about what he did on a day to day bases. I felt empathy for Mr. Conroy when he described himself as being, “an island on an island.” He was lonely even though he had made many friends on the island. His surroundings were different and it was a different way of life that he was not used to. I cannot wait to continue reading because I wonder what Mr. Conroy will do now that he is married and has a family that needs him back in Beaufort. He has to be a strong willed man to stay and travel back and forth as he does because of his love for all the people in his life. Again he said himself, “I love people and collect friends like some people collect coins or exotic pipes.”

1 comment:

  1. Brittney,
    I liked the sentence you chose because like you said, it really shows what type of person Conroy is; he genuinely cares about everyone. I know it sounds cliché, but he never judges a book by its cover. He values his friends based on what’s inside and not what’s outside. I ‘m also looking forward to reading the rest of this book; it’s so much better than I thought it would be. I wasn’t expecting Conroy to get married, but I think it’s probably what he needed to help with his depression and loneliness. It’s unfortunate that Conroy and Barbara couldn’t work something out at the beginning so they could see each other every day, but like you said, it shows his true character and his love and care for his students.
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete